Saturday, November 19, 2016

Gadgets that were Built to Last

Some gadgets were built to last many years down the road, while others might be purposely made in such a way that you have to get a new one every couple of years. Or may age just because technology has advanced, as is the case with Video Game consoles.

Home Phones

Old house phone
My grandma still has this :)
While some get a new phone every year, others are happy with a 90s phone, old corded phone, the first Motorola Droid or iPhone still (true story | I'd use my Droid if it still worked;)

Universal Remotes


A remote control can last a very long time since you're not actually clicking it very often, and not carrying it around in your pockets.
I've used this SMK Link remote for almost 6 years and can't remember changing the battery, but I probably did change it once.

Clocks / Watches

smart watch and phone

Smart Watches are cool but your smartphone can do most of that stuff anyway, and we're not all ready for another expensive gadget yet.
A great technology that doesn't really get outdated with the times is the old timekeeping device - the wristwatch.
You can still rock an old digital Casio and nobody is going to laugh at you (at least I wouldn't).
I used to have a digital watch with a universal remote in the late 90s. If I could find it I'd still use it.

Keyboards / Typewriters


If you're a hard core video gamer you need to upgrade your computer parts every couple years; but if you get a good keyboard and take care of it, it can last a long time.

Washable Keyboard Saitek Eclipse has lasted me almost 5 years, and I'm expecting another 5.

I like typewriters because getting a letter written with a typewriter is pretty cool.

Headphones

Some are built to last depending on how you use them, and if they're fold-able.
These skullcandy have lasted me a long time, and I expect it will last much longer as it survives things that wear out other headphones, such as falling asleep with them on.
It's because they are foldable and rotatable in the vulnerable joints. Other headphones may come with a carrying case.

Television / Monitors

The only reason I've ever upgraded one is to get a bigger screen; and when moving from the old tube television sets to the flat screen HDTVs
I've used a 40" LG HDTV as a computer monitor for many years now.
It is still an energy efficient device that turns itself off when the computer goes to sleep, and I can't find any reason to get another one other than I would want a 50" wall mounted monitor and all of that some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment